Skip to main content

Lois Moore Yandle Papers, 1886-2003

Identifier: MS-2021-022

Content Description

This collection contains research on Highland Park Mill #3 and shares details of the lives of the people who worked in the mill and lived in the North Charlotte area during its operation from 1904 to 1969. Materials in this collection include photographs, newspaper clippings, correspondence, and maps.

This collection is currently unprocessed, but has an item-level inventory included in this resource record. Materials are in good condition and dated 1903-2003.


  • 1903 - 2003


Conditions Governing Access

This collection is open to the public without restriction. The copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted material.

Conditions Governing Use

Permission to duplicate or publish material from this collection must be obtained from the Robinson-Spangler Carolina Room, Charlotte Mecklenburg Library.

Biographical / Historical

The history of North Charlotte began in 1903 when three textile magnates, William Holt from Alamance County, as well as Jesse Spencer and Charles W. Johnston, both of Charlotte, joined forces to build the Highland Park Mill Manufacturing Company and the surrounding mill villages.

At the time of its construction, Highland Park Mill #3 was the city’s largest textile factory and combined productions in spinning and weaving, as well as the manufacturing of gingham. Designed by Charlotte textile architect, Stuart W. Cramer at a cost of $600,000, the plant covered 101,125 square feet. Two buildings comprised the mill, which eventually employed over 1,500 men, women, and children.

Highland Park Mill #3 was a “technological marvel,” as it was the first textile mill in North Carolina specifically designed and constructed to operate with electricity rather than steam power. A power plant built on Sugar Creek generated electricity to run the two area mills. In 1905, James B. Duke became involved in supplying electricity to the mill and constructed the Southern Power Company Transformer House, which still stands near the mill. By 1907, the owners of Highland Park Mill #3 could boast that the plant was the third largest producer of gingham in the United States.

Like most communities built around a mill, the village eventually became a city within a city. Stuart Cramer designed the 1906 housing development for Highland Park Mill. The first streets were Davidson, Alexander, Myers, McDowell, Mallory Streets, as well as Charles, Faison, and Yadkin Avenues. Other residential areas came along later.

The one area that emerged as the most significant to the residents in the area was the development of residential and commercial properties along 35th and 36th Streets. Charles Johnston and William Holt chartered North Carolina Realty Company with the assistance of developer Edward Dilworth Latta. Latta insured that a trolley line connected the mill village to the rest of Charlotte. Soon new businesses and churches sprung up in the area. North Charlotte now had its own business district that included a hotel, two drugstores, grocers, a police station, and the Astor Movie Theater.

Johnston and Holt also provided their workers with an area for recreation. The Electric Park, as it was once known, contained a creek, a pond, and a community center which became a branch of the YMCA.

When the mill closed in 1969, the area around North Charlotte underwent turbulent economic times. Beginning in the 1990s, new business emerged along 36th Street and developers interested in remodeling the older homes as well as constructing new ones. Today, it is one of the most vibrant cultural areas in the city. The old buildings now house restaurants, art galleries, craft stores, music halls and coffee shops.


0.0 Linear Feet

Language of Materials



Lois Moore Yandle (1927-) is the author of "Spirit of a Proud People: Pictures and Stories of Highland Park Manufacturing Mill #3 and the People in the Village of North Charlotte." Highland Park Mill #3, built in 1904, was designed by the prominent architect Stuart Warren Cramer and is the only surviving Charlotte building still associated with him. It was Mecklenburg County’s largest single textile mill and the first all-electric mill in Mecklenburg County. The North Charlotte community was established around the mill and flourished for many years.

This collection contains Yandle's research on the history of Highland Park Mill #3, as well as other miscellaneous materials she collected throughout her life. Collection materials provide a glimpse into the lives of the people who worked in the mill and lived in the North Charlotte area during its operation from 1904 to 1969. Materials in this collection include photographs, newspaper clippings, correspondence, and maps.


Materials are not yet arranged into series since the collection is unprocessed.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

This collection was donated to the Robinson-Spangler Carolina Room by Lois Yandle, c1999.

Related Materials

Austin, Nancy Jane Moore. The Moore Families of Anson and Union Counties, North Carolina, 1750-1986. Peachland, NC: NJM Austin and Charlotte, NC: MLM Yandle, 1988. (NCR 929.2 M821a97)

Moore Family from Lois Moore Yandle. (NCR VF Names)

Yandle Family. (NCR VF Names)

Yandle, Mary Lois Moore. Lois Moore Yandle. Charlotte, NC: Story Corps, 2008. (NCR B Yandle)

Yandle, Mary Lois Moore. The Spirit of a Proud People: Pictures and Stories of Highland Park Manufacturing Mull #3 and the People in the village of North Charlotte. Charlotte, NC: LM Yandle, 1997. (NCR 975.62 C479 Y214)


Highland Park Manufacturing Company Mill No. 3. Charlotte-Mecklenburg Historic Landmarks Commission. Accessed May 2019.

Condition Description

Materials are in good condition.

Processing Information

The processing, arrangement, and description of this collection was completed by Lacey Stith and Sydney Carroll.

Lois Moore Yandle Papers, 1903-2003
In Progress
Lacey Stith, Sydney Carroll
Language of description
Script of description

Repository Details

Part of the Robinson-Spangler Carolina Room, Charlotte Mecklenburg Library Repository

Charlotte Mecklenburg Library-Main
310 N. Tryon Street
Charlotte NC 28202 USA