Skip to main content

Highland Park Mill No.3 Magazine, Hy Park!, 1944-1946

 Collection — Box: 1
Identifier: MS-2021-024

Content Description

This collection contains the "Hy Park!" magazine published monthly by the employees of the Highland Park Manufacturing Company No.3. The first issue was published in January 1944. Each magazine contains cartoons, employee updates, life updates (weddings, births, anniversaries, athletic events and records, musical talents, family members in the armed forces, sickness, death), and other employee-related news. Materials are in good condition and dated 1944-1946.

Dates

  • 1944 - 1946

Conditions Governing Access

This collection is open to the public without restriction. The copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted material.

Conditions Governing Use

Permission to duplicate or publish material from this collection must be obtained from the Robinson-Spangler Carolina Room, Charlotte Mecklenburg Library.

Biographical / Historical

The history of North Charlotte began in 1903 when three textile magnates, William Holt from Alamance County, as well as Jesse Spencer and Charles W. Johnston, both of Charlotte, joined forces to build the Highland Park Mill Manufacturing Company and the surrounding mill villages.

At the time of its construction, Highland Park Mill #3 was the city’s largest textile factory and combined productions in spinning and weaving, as well as the manufacturing of gingham. Designed by Charlotte textile architect, Stuart W. Cramer at a cost of $600,000, the plant covered 101,125 square feet. Two buildings comprised the mill, which eventually employed over 1,500 men, women and children.

Highland Park Mill #3 was a “technological marvel,” as it was the first textile mill in North Carolina specifically designed and constructed to operate with electricity rather than steam power. A power plant built on Sugar Creek generated electricity to run the two area mills. In 1905, James B. Duke became involved in supplying electricity to the mill and constructed the Southern Power Company Transformer House, which still stands near the mill. By 1907, the owners of Highland Park Mill #3 could boast that the plant was the third largest producer of gingham in the United States.

Like most communities built around a mill, the village eventually became a city within a city. Stuart Cramer designed the 1906 housing development for Highland Park Mill. The first streets were Davidson, Alexander, Myers, McDowell, Mallory Streets, as well as Charles, Faison, and Yadkin Avenues. Other residential areas came along later.

The one area that emerged as the most significant to the residents in the area was the development of residential and commercial properties along 35th and 36th Streets. Charles Johnston and William Holt chartered North Carolina Realty Company with the assistance of developer Edward Dilworth Latta. Latta insured that a trolley line connected the mill village to the rest of Charlotte. Soon new businesses and churches sprung up in the area. North Charlotte now had its own business district that included a hotel, two drugstores, grocers, a police station, and the Astor Movie Theater.

Johnston and Holt also provided their workers with an area for recreation. The Electric Park, as it was once known, contained a creek, a pond, and a community center which became a branch of the YMCA.

When the mill closed in 1969, the area around North Charlotte underwent turbulent economic times. Beginning in the 1990s, new business emerged along 36th Street and developers interested in remodeling the older homes as well as constructing new ones. Today, it is one of the most vibrant cultural areas in the city. The old buildings now house restaurants, art galleries, craft stores, music halls and coffee shops.

Extent

0.41 Linear Feet

0.35 Cubic Feet

Language of Materials

English

Abstract

At the time of its construction, Highland Park Mill No.3 was the Charlotte’s largest textile factory and combined productions in spinning and weaving, as well as the manufacturing of gingham. The Mill was a “technological marvel,” as it was the first textile mill in North Carolina specifically designed and constructed to operate with electricity rather than steam power. Like most communities built around a mill, the village eventually became a city within a city. This collection contains the "Hy Park!" magazine published monthly by the employees of the Highland Park Manufacturing Company No.3, dated 1944-1946.

Arrangement

Materials are arranged in chronological order.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

The immediate source and date of acquisition for this collection is unknown.

Related Materials

Lois Moore Yandle Papers, 1903-2003. Robinson-Spangler Carolina Room, Charlotte Mecklenburg Library.

"Mills-Textile-Highland Park" NCR Vertical Files-CharMeck.

Yandle, Lois Moore. "The Spirit of a Proud People:Pictures and Stories of Highland Park Manufacturing Mill #3 and the People in the Village of North Charlotte." Charlotte, NC: L.M. Yandle, 1997 (Columbia, SC: Wentwort Print. Corp.)

Bibliography

Highland Park Mill No.3 Magazine, Hy Park!, 1944-1946. Robinson-Spangler Carolina Room, Charlotte Mecklenburg Library.

Yandle, Lois Moore. "The Spirit of a Proud People:Pictures and Stories of Highland Park Manufacturing Mill #3 and the People in the Village of North Charlotte." Charlotte, NC: L.M. Yandle, 1997 (Columbia, SC: Wentwort Print. Corp.)

Condition Description

Materials are in good condition.

Processing Information

The processing, arrangement, and description of this collection was completed by Sydney Carroll, June 2021.
Title
Highland Park Mill No.3 Magazine, Hy Park!, 1944-1946
Status
Completed
Date
2021-06-02
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin

Repository Details

Part of the Robinson-Spangler Carolina Room, Charlotte Mecklenburg Library Repository

Contact:
Charlotte Mecklenburg Library-Main
310 N. Tryon Street
Charlotte NC 28202 USA