Skip to main content

Commercial National Bank Records, 1874-1948

 Collection — Box: 1
Identifier: MS-2019-010

Scope and Contents

The Commercial National Bank was chartered on February 18, 1874. The bank merged with the American Commercial Bank on November 29, 1958. Two years later in the summer of 1960, this bank merged with the Security National Bank of Greensboro under the name of North Carolina National Bank. Since that time it has undergone two name changes, and is now know as the Bank of America, which is one of the largest banking institutions in the United States.

This collection contains documents associated with the establishment of the Commercial National Bank in Charlotte, NC. Examples include organization and Board of Directors certificates, business reports, by-laws, and other documents pertaining to the bank’s operation. Materials dated 1874-1948.

Dates

  • 1874 - 1948

Conditions Governing Access

This collection is open to the public without restriction. The copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted material.

Conditions Governing Use

Permission to duplicate or publish material for any collection belonging to the Robinson-Spangler Carolina Room must be obtained by Library staff.

Biographical / Historical

The Commercial National Bank was chartered on February 18, 1874. Shareholders included two prominent textile owners from Alamance County, Edwin M. Holt and his son Lawrence Banks Holt. Other shareholders were William Johnston, who later became the Director of the Bank; Robert M. White, owner of White & Sims; Clement Dowd, a leading attorney who served as the banks first president; William J. Black, superintendent with WH Crimminger’s company; John L. Morehead, bank director; Robert Miller, of R.M. Miller & Sons and Joseph McLaughlin a retail grocer and cotton buyer.

Its location on the 200 block of South Tryon Street is where the Confederate president, Jefferson Davis, stayed from April 18 to the 25th. Davis actually learned of President Abraham Lincoln's assassination during his stay.

This bank merged with the American Commercial Bank on November 29, 1958. Two years later in the summer of 1960, the bank merged with the Security National Bank of Greensboro under the name of North Carolina National Bank. Since that time it has undergone two name changes, and is now know as the Bank of America, which is the second largest banking institution in the United States.

Extent

0.5 Linear Feet (1 document box, legal, full size)

0.5 Cubic Feet (1 document box, legal, full size)

Language of Materials

English

Abstract

The Commercial National Bank Records, 1874-1939 contains documents associated with the establishment of the Commercial National Bank in Charlotte, NC. Examples of materials include shareholder and Board of Directors certificates, condition reports, loan documentation, business reports, correspondence, meeting minutes, by-laws, and other documents pertaining to the bank’s operation. Materials dated 1874-1948.

Arrangement

This is a 1 box collection without any series.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

This collection was donated to the Robinson-Spangler Carolina Room by Mary Boyer in May 1981.

Related Materials

"Banks- Commercial National Bank." NCR Vertical Files-CharMeck.

Condition Description

Materials are in good condition.

Processing Information

The processing, arrangement, and description of this collection was completed by Shelia Bumgarner in 2007.
Title
Commercial National Bank Records, 1874-1948
Status
Completed
Author
Shelia Bumgarner (2007) and Sydney Carroll (2019)
Date
2019
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin
Edition statement
Sydney Carroll re-processed the collection in December 2019.

Repository Details

Part of the Robinson-Spangler Carolina Room, Charlotte Mecklenburg Library Repository

Contact:
Charlotte Mecklenburg Library-Main
310 N. Tryon Street
Charlotte NC 28202 USA