Navajo Club Records, 1927-1998
This collection contains 3 scrapbooks and photographs. Materials are in good condition and dated 1927-1998.
- 1927 - 1998
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open to the public without restriction. The copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted material.
Conditions Governing Use
Permission to duplicate or publish material from this collection must be obtained from the Robinson-Spangler Carolina Room, Charlotte Mecklenburg Library.
Biographical / Historical
Charlotte High School, Charlotte’s first high school, was founded in 1909. In 1923, the school was relocated to a campus on Elizabeth Avenue and Kings Drive and renamed to Central High School. In 1959, the school relocated again to its current facility on Eastway Drive and renamed after Dr. Elmer H. Garinger, a former superintendent of the Charlotte City Schools. Central Piedmont Community College’s (CPCC) administrative offices are located in the original school building (as of 2021).
0.41 Linear Feet
0.44 Cubic Feet
Language of Materials
The Navajo Club was a social boys club at Central High School from 1927 to 1933. It was then reorganized on June 17, 1972. The club was for socializing only and did not carry any other qualifications for membership. Roughly 90% of the members served in World War 2. After the reorganization, members met on the first Friday of every month. This collection includes newspaper clippings, obituaries and photos of members of the Navajo Club spanning c1927-c1998.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
This collection was donated to the Robinson-Spangler Carolina Room by Wilson Caudle, April 2005.
Materials are in good condition.
The processing, arrangement, and description of this collection was completed by Sydney Carroll.
- Navajo Club Records, 1927-1998
- In Progress
- Sydney Carroll
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the Robinson-Spangler Carolina Room, Charlotte Mecklenburg Library Repository
Charlotte Mecklenburg Library-Main
310 N. Tryon Street
Charlotte NC 28202 USA