Central High School Collection, 1947
This collection includes clippings, history, and photographs of the Central High School Class of 1947.
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open to the public without restriction. The copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted material.
Conditions Governing Use
Permission to duplicate or publish material from this collection must be obtained from the Robinson-Spangler Carolina Room, Charlotte Mecklenburg Library.
Biographical / Historical
Central High School opened c1908 as Charlotte High School and was the first public high school in the city. Lockewood-Greene and Company were the architects, and J.A. Jones Company was the contractor. Located at Elizabeth Avenue and Cecil Street (now Kings Drive) the school is now part of Central Piedmont Community College's campus.
The Charlotte public school system was founded in 1882, and TJ Mitchell was the first superintendent of the segregated school district. The first school for white children was South School, located on the corner of East Morehead Street and South boulevard. Myers Street School, the first school for African American students, also opened in 1882.
School consolidations began under Superintendent J.W. Wilson, (1944-1960), eventually merging the Charlotte City Schools with the Mecklenburg County Schools in 1960. Charlotte schools continued to be largely segregated, even after the 1954 Supreme Court decision on Brown vs. the Board of Education of Topeka, Kansas. There were no moves made toward integration for three years after the Brown decision.
On September 9, 1970, the Charlotte Mecklenburg School system was integrated. The first four African-American students to enter white schools were Delores Huntley (Alexander Graham Junior High), Girvaud Roberts (Piedmont Junior High School, Gus Roberts (Central High School), and Dorothy Counts (Harding High School). Gus Roberts graduated from Central in 1959.
0.2 Linear Feet
0.22 Cubic Feet
Language of Materials
Central High School opened c1908 as Charlotte High School and was located at Elizabeth Avenue and Cecil Street (now Kings Drive). It the first public high school in Charlotte. In 1923, the school was renamed Central High School, which became part of Central Piedmont Community College's campus c1963.
This collection contains materials relating to the Central High School Class of 1947, to include newspaper clippings, photographs, and documents. Materials are dated 1947 and in good condition.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The immediate source and date of acquisition for this collection is unknown.
Materials are in good condition.
The processing, arrangement, and description of this collection was completed by Sydney Carroll.
- Central High School (Charlotte, N.C.)
- Education Subject Source: Local sources
- High schools--Alumni and alumnae Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Newspaper clippings Subject Source: Local sources
- Photographs Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Public schools Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Central High School Collection, 1947
- In Progress
- Sydney Carroll
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the Robinson-Spangler Carolina Room, Charlotte Mecklenburg Library Repository
Charlotte Mecklenburg Library-Main
310 N. Tryon Street
Charlotte NC 28202 USA