Charlotte Technical High School, 1926-c2000
Scope and Contents
The Charlotte Technical High School Collection consists of diplomas, school histories, photographs, and a scrapbook. Most content is self-explanatory, however the scrapbook includes original and copied photographs, commencement programs, and other information on the 1933, 1935, 1936, and 1938 classes. The materials range in date from 1926-2000s, but the bulk of the collection is from the 1930s and focuses on the classes from that era.
- 1926 - 2000
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open to the public without restriction. The copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted material.
Conditions Governing Use
Permission to duplicate or publish material for any collection belonging to the Robinson-Spangler Carolina Room must be obtained by Library staff.
Biographical / Historical
As cotton mills came into the Belmont and North Charlotte communities by the early 1920s, Charlotte city leaders and businessmen began working together to improve the education of the children of the mill workers and others in the surrounding community. City leaders worked with the owners of the Louise and Chadwick Hoskins Mills to create a vocational school to provide the children with an industrial education. This school, first known as Belmont Vocational School, was located at 1400 Pegram Street, and completed in September 1922. The first principal of the school was Harry K. Moore, who came from Middleton, Ohio.
Initial enrollment was not large, and the overcrowded Villa Heights School was able to use the excess space for some of the primary students. The first year included seventh, eighth, and ninth grade students, with the first graduating class in 1926. Student enrollment increased each year, and the upper grades eventually filled out the school.
Principal Moore resigned in 1926, and was followed by Forest T. Selby of Oxford, Ohio. Many changes occurred during Selby’s tenure, including the addition of courses in a variety of subjects, a new woodworking shop, evening classes for adults, and the renaming of the school to Charlotte Technical High School or “Tech High,” in 1927.
Charlotte Technical High School ceased existence in 1954, and became Hawthorne Junior High School. Graduates of Tech High were very interested in continuing the relationships they formed with each other, the faculty, and the school, however. They held reunions, wrote newsletters, formed social groups such as the Tech High Lunch Bunch, and participated in community activities. Many of these activities continue today, including the administration of the Lula Faye Clegg Memorial Scholarship Fund, which honors Ms. Clegg, who taught history, civics, and social studies at the school from 1923 to 1965.
0.25 Linear Feet
0.2 Cubic Feet
Language of Materials
Belmont Vocational School was created to serve as a vocational school for the children of the Belmont and North Charlotte communities. It opened in September 1922 at 1400 Pegram Street, with Harry K. Moore serving as the first principal. The school was renamed Charlotte Technical High School in 1927. After the class of 1954 graduated, the school became Hawthorne Junior High.
This collection includes diplomas, brief histories, photographs, and a scrapbook that relate to Tech High. Materials are dated 1926-c2000.
Collection materials are not arranged into series.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
This collection was donated to the Robinson-Spangler Carolina Room by the Charlotte Technical High School Alumni Association (Tech High Lunch Bunch) in 2015.
Robinson-Spangler Carolina Room. Charlotte Tech High. http://www.cmstory.org/content/charlotte-tech-high
Tech High Lunch Bunch. Charlotte Technical High School, 1927-1954. (In collection)
Materials are in good condition but the diplomas need to be flattened.
The processing, arrangement, and description of this collection was completed by Hannah Cox in 2016.
- Charlotte Technical High School, 1926-c2000
- Hannah Cox
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the Robinson-Spangler Carolina Room, Charlotte Mecklenburg Library Repository
Charlotte Mecklenburg Library-Main
310 N. Tryon Street
Charlotte NC 28202 USA