Skip to main content

Charlotte Woman’s Club Records, 1900-1959

 Collection — Multiple Containers
Identifier: MS-2020-003

Content Description

This collection contains programs from annual Woman's Club meetings. Materials are dated 1900-1959. Each program contains information relating to theme, hostess, location, discussion topics, and other miscellaneous information connected to the organization.

Dates

  • 1900 - 1959

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

This collection is open to the public without restriction. The copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted material.

Conditions Governing Use

Permission to duplicate or publish material for any collection belonging to the Robinson-Spangler Carolina Room must be obtained by Library staff.

Biographical / Historical

The Charlotte Woman’s Club is the oldest civic organization in Charlotte. Organized in 1899 as the Study Club for Mothers, the club changed its name in 1902 when membership and civic activities increased. Six women organized the club, with Mrs. WS Liddell as the first president 1899-1901. In 1908, they joined the General Federation of Women’s Clubs, which is now one of the world’s largest and oldest nonpartisan, nondenominational, international women’s volunteer service organization. The Club's house on 1001 East Morehead Street, designed by noted Charlotte architect Charles C. Hook, was designated a Charlotte-Mecklenburg historic landmark in 1978.

The women in this club were very active in charitable and public service work. Some service projects include care packages to the military, playgrounds and beautification projects, nursing clinics, staffing buses and train stations during both WWI and WWII, among others. The Club also established the city’s first kindergarten and organized Charlotte’s YWCA (Young Women’s Christian Association), PTA (Parent Teacher Association), and Traveler’s Aid.

Extent

1.5 Linear Feet

1.5 Cubic Feet

Language of Materials

English

Abstract

The Charlotte Woman’s Club is the oldest civic organization in Charlotte. Organized in 1899 as the Study Club for Mothers, the club changed its name in 1902 when membership and civic activities increased. Six women organized the club, with Mrs. WS Liddell as the first president 1899-1901. In 1908, they joined the General Federation of Women’s Clubs, which is now one of the world’s largest and oldest nonpartisan, nondenominational, international women’s volunteer service organization.

This collection contains programs fro annual Woman's Club meetings and are dated 1900-1959.

Arrangement

Programs are arranged in chronological order.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

This collection was donated to the Robinson-Spangler Carolina Room by an unknown presenter on an unknown date. Materials were likely donated by a member of the organization, but there is no documentation to confirm.

Related Materials

“Associations-Charlotte Woman’s Club.” (NCR VF Char/Meck)

“Associations-Charlotte Woman’s Club-Directories.” (NCR VF Char/Meck)

“Historic Buildings-Charlotte Woman’s Club.” (NCR VF Char/Meck)

North Carolina General Federation of Women’s Clubs, 1903-1937. Robinson-Spangler Carolina Room, Charlotte Mecklenburg Library.

“Woman’s Club Cook Book of Southern Recipes.” Charlotte, NC: The Woman’s Club, Ray Printing Co., 1908. (NCR 641.5 W872)

Bibliography

“GFWC Charlotte Woman’s Club.” Charlotte Woman’s Club. Accessed December 2019. https://charlottewoman39sclub.wildapricot.org/

“Past Presidents of the Charlotte Woman’s Club.” CMStory. Accessed December 2019. https://www.cmstory.org/exhibits/hornets-nest-appendix/past-presidents-charlotte-womans-club

“The Clubhouse of the Charlotte Woman’s Club.” Charlotte Mecklenburg Historic Landmarks Commission. Accessed December 2019. http://www.cmhpf.org/S&Rs%20Alphabetical%20Order/surveys&rcharwomen.htm

Condition Description

Materials are in good condition

Processing Information

The processing, arrangement, and description of this collection was completed by Sydney Carroll in December 2019.

Title
Charlotte Woman’s Club Records, 1900-1959
Status
Completed
Author
Sydney Carroll
Date
December 2019
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin

Repository Details

Part of the Robinson-Spangler Carolina Room, Charlotte Mecklenburg Library Repository

Contact:
Charlotte Mecklenburg Library-Main
310 N. Tryon Street
Charlotte NC 28202 USA