Skip to main content

Charlotte Consolidated Construction Company Records, 1860-1910

 Collection — Box: 1
Identifier: MS-2020-038

Content Description

This collection includes a ledgers, meeting minutes, correspondence, and deeds of trust and other miscellaneous property records belonging to the Charlotte Consolidated Construction Company and the Charlotte Electric Railway, Light, and Power Company. There are four series in this collection: Series 1: Administrative Records, 1890-1899; Series 2: Correspondence, 1904-1910; Series 3: Legal Documents, 1899; Series 4: Financial documents, 1893-1904.

Materials are in good condition and dated 1860-1910, with the bulk of the collection dated 1930-1939.

Dates

  • 1860 - 1910

Conditions Governing Access

This collection is open to the public without restriction. The copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted material.

Conditions Governing Use

Permission to duplicate or publish material from this collection must be obtained from the Robinson-Spangler Carolina Room, Charlotte Mecklenburg Library.

Biographical / Historical

For a time, during the late 19th and early 20th centuries, Edward Dilworth Latta was among the most powerful men in Charlotte. By forming the Charlotte Consolidated Construction Company, also known as the Four Cs, in 1890, Latta and five other influential Charlotteans, including Mayor F.B. McDowell, developed the Dilworth area, had their own trolley system, and had control of gas and electric power in Charlotte.

Incorporating other companies into his own, such as the Charlotte Gas Light Company, and the Charlotte Electric Railway, Latta and his group maintained an effective monopoly in Charlotte. In 1905, James B. Duke established a rival utility company in Charlotte, the Southern Power Company. In 1910, Latta sold the Charlotte Electric Railway Company, along with his gas supply business, to Southern Power. Southern Power would later become Duke Power in 1924.

Charlotte Consolidated Construction Company: During the late 19th and early 20th centuries, Edward Dilworth Latta was considered one of the most powerful men in Charlotte. Latta formed the Charlotte Consolidated Construction Company (also known as the Four Cs) in 1890. With assistance the assistance of five other powerful Charlotteans, including Mayor F.B. McDowell, Latta developed the Dilworth area, developed the trolley system, and held control of Charlotte’s gas and electric power.

Latta incorporated the Charlotte Gas Light Company and the Charlotte Electric Railway into the Four Cs, creating an effective monopoly in Charlotte with his partners. In 1905, James B. Duke established a rival utility company in Charlotte, the Southern Power Company. By 1910, Latta sold the Charlotte Electric Railway Company and his gas supply business to Duke. Southern Power later became known as Duke Power in 1924.

Charlotte Electric Railway, Light, and Power Company: In 1883, the North Carolina General Assembly chartered the Charlotte Street Railway Company. In 1894, the Charlotte Street Railway Company operated five miles of track and nine cars. E.D Latta was one of the company officers at this time. In 1896, Edward D. Latta took over the company and re-organized it, with it then becoming the Charlotte Electric Railway, Light and Power Company. After Latta’s reorganization of the company, the railway system grew from 4 miles of track to over 24 miles of track.

Extent

0.25 Linear Feet

0.25 Cubic Feet

Language of Materials

English

Abstract

Edward Dilworth Latta founded the Charlotte Consolidated Construction Company, also known as the Four Cs, in 1890. Latta and five other influential Charlotteans, including Mayor F.B. McDowell, developed the Dilworth area, had their own trolley system, and had control of gas and electric power in Charlotte. Incorporating other companies into his own, such as the Charlotte Gas Light Company and the Charlotte Electric Railway, Latta and his group maintained an effective monopoly in Charlotte.

This collection contains records relating to the Four Cs and the Charlotte Electric Railway, Light, and Power Company. Materials are in good condition and dated 1860-1899.

Arrangement

There are four series in this collection: Series 1: Administrative Records, 1890-1899; Series 2: Correspondence, 1904-1910; Series 3: Legal Documents, 1899; Series 4: Financial documents, 1893-1904.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

The immediate source and date of acquisition for this collection is unknown.

Related Materials

Business Firms—4C’s Company. (CALL NUMBER: NCR VERTICAL FILES)

Latta, Edward Dilworth and Wife. (CALL NUMBER: NCR VERTICAL FILES)

Bibliography

Davidson, Chalmers G. “Latta, Edward Dilworth.” NCPedia, 1991. http://www.ncpedia.org/biography/latta-edward-dilworth

“North Carolina Railroads-Street Railways-Charlotte.” Accessed November 2019. https://www.carolana.com/NC/Transportation/railroads/nc_street_railways_charlotte.html

Turner, Walter R. “Development of Streetcar Systems in North Carolina.” CharlotteMecklenburg Historic Landmarks Commission. http://www.cmhpf.org/development%20of%20streetcar%20systems.htm

Condition Description

Materials are in good condition.

Processing Information

The processing, arrangement, and description of this collection was completed by Sydney Carroll, August 2020.
Title
Charlotte Consolidated Construction Company Records, 1860-1910
Status
Completed
Author
Sydney Carroll
Date
2020-08
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin

Repository Details

Part of the Robinson-Spangler Carolina Room, Charlotte Mecklenburg Library Repository

Contact:
Charlotte Mecklenburg Library-Main
310 N. Tryon Street
Charlotte NC 28202 USA