Chelidon Book Club Records, 1901-1937
The Chelidon Book Club was founded in November 1901 by a group of twelve women. Materials in this collection consist of annual programs that outlined the chosen books, discussion topics, meeting dates, and hostesses. Materials dated 1901-1937.
- 1901 - 1937
Conditions Governing Access
This collection is open to the public without restriction. The copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted material.
Conditions Governing Use
Permission to duplicate or publish material from this collection must be obtained from the Robinson-Spangler Carolina Room, Charlotte Mecklenburg Library.
Biographical / Historical
The Chelidon Book Club was founded in November 1901. The name “Chelidon” was chosen after a literary society of the University of the South at Sewanee, Tennessee. Chelidon is a Greek term for part of the arm, which signifies not only strength, but friendship and fellowship.
The following women served as President of the Chelidon Book Club: Miss Lizzie Faison, 1901-1902; Miss Josephine Osborne, 1902-1908; Miss Annie Wilson, 1908-1909; Mrs. B.J. Witherspoon, 1909-1914; Mrs. Thomas Wright, 1914-1916; Mrs. E.R. Preston, 1916-1918; Mrs. James P. Stowe, 1918-1920; Mrs. Brent S. Drane, 1920-?. The meeting minutes did not record acting presidents after Mrs. Drane.
Club members made many decisions surrounding how the club should be organized: membership was limited to twelve; the club be of the nature of a book club; meetings will occur every two weeks at the houses of members as they come in alphabetical order; light refreshments be served by the host; all business of the meeting will be strictly confined to the twelve members; a spirit of confidence in the members be encouraged, and the spirit of criticism be abolished; members bear willingly their share in the programs. Members were also charged a small fee ($1.25 in 1901) to cover the cost of books.
Meetings were held every other Thursday from November-April until approximately April 1959, which was the last date published in the Charlotte Observer announcing the upcoming meeting.
0.25 Linear Feet
0.18 Cubic Feet
Language of Materials
The Chelidon Book Club was founded in November 1901. The name “Chelidon” was chosen after a literary society of the University of the South at Sewanee, Tennessee. Chelidon is a Greek term for part of the arm, which signifies not only strength, but friendship and fellowship. Women in this club discussed a variety of topics and typically chose books to represent a given theme. Materials in this collection include annual programs and meeting minutes dated 1901-1937 and are in good condition.
Materials in this collection are arranged chronologically.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
The immediate source and date of acquisition for this collection is unknown.
Materials are in good condition.
The processing, arrangement, and description of this collection was completed by Sydney Carroll, August 2020.
- Book clubs (Discussion groups) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Clubs and Organizations Subject Source: Local sources
- Women--Societies and clubs Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Chelidon Book Club Records, 1901-1937
- Sydney Carroll
- Language of description
- Script of description
Part of the Robinson-Spangler Carolina Room, Charlotte Mecklenburg Library Repository
Charlotte Mecklenburg Library-Main
310 N. Tryon Street
Charlotte NC 28202 USA