Skip to main content

Elizabeth College Collection, 1899-1974

 Collection
Identifier: MS-2021-011

Content Description

This collection contains yearbooks, programs, photographs, newsletters, catalogs, correspondence, scrapbooks, and textiles from the active years of Elizabeth College. It also contains some material later collected concerning Elizabeth College students, such as reunions. The bulk of the collection is dated 1900-1915.

Dates

  • 1899 - 1974
  • Majority of material found within 1900 - 1915

Conditions Governing Access

This collection is open to the public without restriction. The copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted material.

Conditions Governing Use

Permission to duplicate or publish material from this collection must be obtained from the Robinson-Spangler Carolina Room, Charlotte Mecklenburg Library.

Biographical / Historical

Elizabeth College was a four-year college for women, founded in 1896. It was located at what was then the end of Elizabeth Avenue, on property that had been the old Torrence homestead. Due to the Watts family’s large donation to the college, college president Dr. Charles B. King named it for his mother-in-law, Ann Elizabeth Watts. It was under the charge of the Evangelical Lutheran Church. The college’s objective was to provide a broad education for women in the classics, mathematics, and sciences. Elizabeth College was best known for its Gerald Conservatory of Music, named for King’s brother-in-law.

In 1915, King moved the college to Salem, Virginia, where it merged with Virginia’s Roanoke College for Women. Many of Elizabeth College’s records were lost to a fire at Roanoke College in 1921. Presbyterian Hospital bought the Charlotte property in 1917, and the hospital moved into the main building. It continued in this capacity until 1980 when it was torn down to make way for Charlotte’s expansion.

Extent

0.0 Linear Feet

Language of Materials

English

Abstract

Elizabeth College was a four-year college for women, founded in 1896. It was located at what was then the end of Elizabeth Avenue, on property that had been the old Torrence homestead. Due to the Watts family’s large donation to the college, college president Dr. Charles B. King named it for his mother-in-law, Ann Elizabeth Watts. It was under the charge of the Evangelical Lutheran Church, whose objectives were to provide a broad education for women in the classics, mathematics, and sciences.

This collection contains catalogs, correspondence, photographs, programs, scrapbooks, textiles, and yearbooks. Materials are dated 1899-1974 (bulk of materials dated 1900-1915) and in good condition.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

The immediate source and date of acquisition for this collection is unknown.

Related Materials

Colleges and Universities—Elizabeth College. (CALL NUMBER: NCR VERTICAL FILES)

Bibliography

Lillard, Stewart. “Elizabeth College,” 2006. http://ncpedia.org/elizabeth-college

Morrill, Dr. Dan L. and Nancy B. Thomas. “A Neighborhood Called Elizabeth.” http://www.elizabethcommunity.com/community/history

Robinson-Spangler Carolina Room. “Elizabeth College.” http://www.cmstory.org/content/elizabeth-college-20

Condition Description

Materials are in good condition.

Processing Information

The processing, arrangement, and description of this collection was completed by Sydney Carroll, February 2021.
Title
Elizabeth College Collection, 1899-1974
Status
In Progress
Author
Sydney Carroll
Date
2021-02-01
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin

Repository Details

Part of the Robinson-Spangler Carolina Room, Charlotte Mecklenburg Library Repository

Contact:
Charlotte Mecklenburg Library-Main
310 N. Tryon Street
Charlotte NC 28202 USA