Skip to main content Skip to search results

Showing Collections: 1 - 5 of 5

Charlotte Consolidated Construction Company Records, 1860-1910

 Collection — Box: 1
Identifier: MS-2020-038
Abstract Edward Dilworth Latta founded the Charlotte Consolidated Construction Company, also known as the Four Cs, in 1890. Latta and five other influential Charlotteans, including Mayor F.B. McDowell, developed the Dilworth area, had their own trolley system, and had control of gas and electric power in Charlotte. Incorporating other companies into his own, such as the Charlotte Gas Light Company and the Charlotte Electric Railway, Latta and his group maintained an effective monopoly in Charlotte....
Dates: 1860 - 1910

Douglas Corwin Pineville Business Collection, 1902-1965

 Collection — Multiple Containers
Identifier: MS-2021-028
Abstract Douglas Corwin was a pharmacist in Pineville, North Carolina. Prior to leaving North Carolina for Wisconsin c2004, he and his wife their collection donated this collection of Pineville materials to local institutions so that the information would be retained in the area. This collection contains business records for local businesses in Pineville, North Carolina. A majority of the collection contains pharmaceutical records and prescriptions from the Pineville Drug Company, as...
Dates: 1902 - 1965; Majority of material found within 1923 - 1933

Duke Power Records, 1917-1966

 Collection — Multiple Containers
Identifier: MS-2020-040
Abstract In 1905, brothers James and Benjamin Duke founded the Southern Power Company, which in 1924 became known as the Duke Power Company. Its headquarters is in Charlotte, North Carolina, primarily serving the Piedmont region of the Carolinas. The Duke brothers worked very closely with William States Lee, an electrical engineer, and brothers Walker and Robert Wylie, founders of the Catawba Power Company. This collection contains surveys, maps, applications for service, financial...
Dates: 1917 - 1966

Hugh Roy Smith Papers, 1932-2000

 Collection — Multiple Containers
Identifier: MS-2021-014
Abstract Hugh Roy Smith (1908-1979) opened his first business, Cornelius Floral Gardens, in 1933. The business later became known as Smith’s Flowers and Nurseries, Inc. During his career, he grew and sold flowers through his shops in Cornelius and Mooresville and provided floral arrangements for weddings and pageants. He also participated in Southern Living Show exhibits and won awards for his displays. In addition to his work, Smith was active in his community as a chairman of the Cornelius...
Dates: 1932 - 2000

Southern Radio Company Records, 1930-1998

 Collection — Multiple Containers
Identifier: MS-2022-009
Abstract The Southern Radio Company operated from 1930-1998 as a distributor of radios, record players, televisions, and home appliances. Its clients were independent electronics dealers throughout the Southeast. Its first quarters were in the J.A. Jones building on 208 S. Tryon St., but it relocated to 1625 W. Morehead St. in 1950, and remained there until closure. This collection contains minute books, ledgers, business records, manuals, promotional materials, photographs, newspaper...
Dates: 1930 - 1998