Skip to main content Skip to search results

Showing Collections: 1 - 4 of 4

American War Mothers Collection-Charlotte Chapter, 1926-1991

 Collection — Multiple Containers
Identifier: MS-2020-047
Abstract The American War Mothers organization was founded in September 1917, developed a constitution and by-laws in August 1918, and was granted a Congressional charter on February 24, 1925. The purpose of this organization was for mothers of young men and women at risk during World War I to engage in patriotic service to those serving their country. At the time, their membership was strictly limited to mothers whose sons and daughters served between April 6, 1917 and November 11, 1918. Among their...
Dates: 1926 - 1991

Douglas Corwin Pineville Business Collection, 1902-1965

 Collection — Multiple Containers
Identifier: MS-2021-028
Abstract Douglas Corwin was a pharmacist in Pineville, North Carolina. Prior to leaving North Carolina for Wisconsin c2004, he and his wife their collection donated this collection of Pineville materials to local institutions so that the information would be retained in the area. This collection contains business records for local businesses in Pineville, North Carolina. A majority of the collection contains pharmaceutical records and prescriptions from the Pineville Drug Company, as...
Dates: 1902 - 1965; Majority of material found within 1923 - 1933

Hugh Roy Smith Papers, 1932-2000

 Collection — Multiple Containers
Identifier: MS-2021-014
Abstract Hugh Roy Smith (1908-1979) opened his first business, Cornelius Floral Gardens, in 1933. The business later became known as Smith’s Flowers and Nurseries, Inc. During his career, he grew and sold flowers through his shops in Cornelius and Mooresville and provided floral arrangements for weddings and pageants. He also participated in Southern Living Show exhibits and won awards for his displays. In addition to his work, Smith was active in his community as a chairman of the Cornelius...
Dates: 1932 - 2000

Ranson-Hunter Collection, 1848-1990

 Collection
Identifier: MS-2020-027
Abstract The Hunter and Ranson families were two of the earliest families who settled in what was originally known as “Craighead.” In 1873, the town was renamed “Huntersville” for the Hunter family. These two families would join together through the 1890 marriage of William Joseph Ranson and Ellen Viola Hunter. The Ranson and Hunter families continued to influence the development of the Huntersville community throughout the 20th Century. The children of William and Ellen went on to serve their...
Dates: 1848 - 1990