Skip to main content Skip to search results

Showing Collections: 1 - 3 of 3

Charles Guernsey Hubbel Papers, 1869-1946

 Collection
Identifier: MS-2019-008
Abstract

This collection contains correspondence, land records (deeds, deeds of trust, property surveys), tax receipts, and documentation on the re-surveying of the US Post Office, Assay Site, and Courthouse in Charlotte. Land records largely reference properties including Brevard, Myers-Cedar Groves Farm, Chatham Estates, present-day Plaza Midwood, and other areas in Mecklenburg County. Materials are dated 1873-1957.

Dates: 1869 - 1946

Charlotte Consolidated Construction Company Records, 1860-1910

 Collection — Box: 1
Identifier: MS-2020-038
Abstract Edward Dilworth Latta founded the Charlotte Consolidated Construction Company, also known as the Four Cs, in 1890. Latta and five other influential Charlotteans, including Mayor F.B. McDowell, developed the Dilworth area, had their own trolley system, and had control of gas and electric power in Charlotte. Incorporating other companies into his own, such as the Charlotte Gas Light Company and the Charlotte Electric Railway, Latta and his group maintained an effective monopoly in Charlotte....
Dates: 1860 - 1910

Ranson-Hunter Collection, 1848-1990

 Collection
Identifier: MS-2020-027
Abstract The Hunter and Ranson families were two of the earliest families who settled in what was originally known as “Craighead.” In 1873, the town was renamed “Huntersville” for the Hunter family. These two families would join together through the 1890 marriage of William Joseph Ranson and Ellen Viola Hunter. The Ranson and Hunter families continued to influence the development of the Huntersville community throughout the 20th Century. The children of William and Ellen went on to serve their...
Dates: 1848 - 1990