Skip to main content Skip to search results

Showing Collections: 1 - 26 of 26

American Association of University Women (AAUW) Records, 1936-1943

 Collection
Identifier: MS-2020-061
Abstract The American Association of University Women (AAUW) had its first meeting in 1881 in Boston, Massachusetts. Marian Talbot and Ellen Richards, along with fifteen alumnae from eight colleges, met to discuss the needs of college-educated women. Dedicated to promoting equality and education among women and girls, the AAUW has over 170,000 members and supporters, 1000 local branches, and 800 college and university partners (as of 2015). The Charlotte branch of the AAUW began in 1913...
Dates: 1936 - 1943

American War Mothers Collection-Charlotte Chapter, 1926-1991

 Collection — Multiple Containers
Identifier: MS-2020-047
Abstract The American War Mothers organization was founded in September 1917, developed a constitution and by-laws in August 1918, and was granted a Congressional charter on February 24, 1925. The purpose of this organization was for mothers of young men and women at risk during World War I to engage in patriotic service to those serving their country. At the time, their membership was strictly limited to mothers whose sons and daughters served between April 6, 1917 and November 11, 1918. Among their...
Dates: 1926 - 1991

Brockmann Bookstore Records, 1916-1922

 Collection — Box: 1, Object: Scrapbook
Identifier: MS-2019-005
Abstract “The Book Shop,” opened in Charlotte in 1915, and was owned and operated by the Brockmann and Legerton Company. Herbert Victor Brockmann (1892-1949), was the manager of the store. Two years later, Herbert and his brother, Charles Raven Brockmann (1889-1970), took over interest in the store as Brockmann and Company. Together, they owned and operated the Brockmann Bookstore from 1917-1928, when the store closed. There is one scrapbook in this collection that features correspondence,...
Dates: 1916 - 1922

Carolina Book Club Records, 1939-1986

 Collection — Multiple Containers
Identifier: MS-2020-046
Abstract

The Carolina Book Club was founded in May 1939 in Charlotte, North Carolina. Collection materials include essays, meeting minutes, financial records, and other miscellaneous materials relating to the club. Materials are dated 1939-1986 and in good condition, with some documents in poor condition due to fragility.

Dates: 1939 - 1986

Charles W. Allison’s Marshal Ney Scrapbook, 1931-1956

 Item — Box: 1
Identifier: MS-2020-063
Abstract Charles W. Allison was a Charlotte, North Carolina, resident who collected materials, spoke on, and assisted in erecting a plaque on the mausoleum of Peter Ney. Peter Stuart Ney lived in Rowan County, North Carolina, and was a teacher, first in Cheraw, South Carolina, and later a professor at Davidson College, in Davidson, North Carolina. On his deathbed in 1846, he proclaimed that he was actually Marshal Michel Ney, a French soldier and military commander during the French Revolutionary and...
Dates: 1931 - 1956

Charlotte League of Women Voters Records, 1920-2004

 Collection — Multiple Containers
Identifier: MS-2020-055
Abstract Carrie Chapman Catt founded the League of Women Voters in 1920 during the National American Woman Suffrage Association’s annual convention. It was designed to be a nonpartisan, grassroots organization that would assist the 20 million new female voters in understanding and executing their new civic duties. The League was, and continues to be, a strong advocate of politically educated citizens and government and social reform legislation. Formed in 1922, the Charlotte League of...
Dates: 1920 - 2004

Charlotte Saturday Evening Post Scrapbook, 1951

 Collection — Box: 1
Identifier: MS-2020-048
Abstract

The Saturday Evening Post's first issue was published on August 4, 1821, which establishes the Saturday Evening Post as the oldest magazine in the United States. Materials in this scrapbook include newspaper clippings, telegrams, correspondence, invitations, and other miscellaneous documents relating to the Saturday Evening Post. The scrapbook is dated 1951 and is in good/fair condition.

Dates: 1951-06-23

Country Club Acres Garden Club Collection, 1958-1987

 Collection — Box: 1
Identifier: MS-2021-003
Abstract The Country Club Acres Garden Club was organized in 1958. The club’s flower was the Dogwood, and their colors were pink and white. The group met on the third Thursday of each month at 8pm to discuss club matters and gardening techniques. The purpose of the club was to improve the member’s knowledge of horticulture and to beautify their homes and gardens, thus beautifying their neighborhoods and community. The members referred to the club as a “learning club” because many of those involved...
Dates: 1958 - 1987

Downs/McCachren and Cappiello/Piscitelli Collection, 1860-2015

 Collection — Multiple Containers
Identifier: MS-2020-049
Abstract The Downs/McCachren and Cappiello/Piscitelli Collection contains a variety of materials for the Downs, McCachren, Cappiello, and Piscitelli families. The Downs and McCachren families have been longtime residents of Cabarrus and Mecklenburg counties, while the Cappiello and Piscitelli families came from Italy and settled in New Haven, Connecticut. Anthony Piscitelli settled in Charlotte after marrying Alice McCachren in 1947. Members of these families for whom materials may be...
Dates: 1860 - 2015

Elizabeth College Collection, 1899-1974

 Collection
Identifier: MS-2021-011
Abstract Elizabeth College was a four-year college for women, founded in 1896. It was located at what was then the end of Elizabeth Avenue, on property that had been the old Torrence homestead. Due to the Watts family’s large donation to the college, college president Dr. Charles B. King named it for his mother-in-law, Ann Elizabeth Watts. It was under the charge of the Evangelical Lutheran Church, whose objectives were to provide a broad education for women in the classics, mathematics, and...
Dates: 1899 - 1974; Majority of material found within 1900 - 1915

Gold Star Mothers Scrapbooks, 1946-1966

 Collection
Identifier: MS-1990-001
Abstract The American Gold Star Mothers was founded in 1928 by Grace Darling Seibold, mother of deceased soldier George Vaughn, and later incorporated on January 5, 1929 in Washington, DC. As with the American War Mothers, the Gold Star Mothers’ membership was initially limited, but was later amended to include all American conflicts, and all mothers of children killed during these conflicts. Materials in this collection include three scrapbooks with histories of the group and its...
Dates: 1946 - 1966

Haigler Family Papers, 1868-1951

 Collection — Multiple Containers
Identifier: MS-2020-023
Abstract This collection spans items related to the Haigler family, who lived in Union and Mecklenburg counties in North Carolina. The collection consists primarily of correspondence between members of the H.M. Haigler family in the 1940s. The H.I. Ha[i]gler and H.M. Haigler families lived on farms close to Charlotte and grew cotton. Some items in this collection allow a view into agricultural practice in the early and mid-1900s, including cotton ration books. Many family members also fought in World...
Dates: 1868 - 1951

Harding High School Collection, 1920-2006

 Collection
Identifier: MS-2022-006
Abstract Named in honor of Superintendent Harry Patrick Harding, Harding High opened in September 1935, on Irwin Avenue, in Charlotte. The building remained a high school until 1961, when the Irwin Avenue building was designated a junior high school. The high school was moved to Alleghany Street and was re-named Harding University High School in 1992.This collection contains teacher and student materials relating to Harding High School, to include school newsletters, commencement...
Dates: 1920 - 2006

Harris Family Scrapbook Collection, 1966-1982

 Collection — Multiple Containers
Identifier: MS-2019-009
Abstract

This collection consists of 14 scrapbooks of memorabilia kept by W.T. Harris and his family. The bulk of the materials are from the 1970s, with a few scrapbooks from the 1960s and 1980s. Examples of scrapbook materials include congratulatory letters, programs, awards, involvement in community organizations, speaking engagements, correspondence, and “Man of the Year” awards.

Dates: 1967 - 1981

Henry Edward Cowan "Red Buck" Bryant Papers

 Collection — Multiple Containers
Identifier: MS-2022-016
Abstract Henry Edward Cowan "Red Buck" Bryant (1873-1967) was a writer for the Charlotte Observer, Missoulian, The New York World, New York Herald, and Boston Herald. He is perhaps best known for his work on covering racial and political events, including Black migration to the north during World War I, failure of prohibition, the Ku Klux Klan (KKK), and Democratic/Republican National Conventions. This collection contains materials from his professional and personal life, to include biographical...
Dates: 1873 - 1967

Hugh Roy Smith Papers, 1932-2000

 Collection — Multiple Containers
Identifier: MS-2021-014
Abstract Hugh Roy Smith (1908-1979) opened his first business, Cornelius Floral Gardens, in 1933. The business later became known as Smith’s Flowers and Nurseries, Inc. During his career, he grew and sold flowers through his shops in Cornelius and Mooresville and provided floral arrangements for weddings and pageants. He also participated in Southern Living Show exhibits and won awards for his displays. In addition to his work, Smith was active in his community as a chairman of the Cornelius...
Dates: 1932 - 2000

Julia McNinch Camp Greene Scrapbook, 1918

 Item — Box: 1
Identifier: MS-2021-015
Abstract

Julia McNinch (1891-1975) was born in 1891 in Charlotte, North Carolina to Samuel Sylvanus McNinch and Julia Magill McNinch. Julia was a schoolteacher and married John Klump Slear of Pennsylvania, who had been a soldier training at Camp Greene. This collection includes one scrapbook with documents, photographs, postcards, songs, stamps, and textiles relating to Camp Greene. The scrapbook is dated 1918 and in good condition.

Dates: 1918

Lois Moore Yandle Papers, 1886-2003

 Collection
Identifier: MS-2021-022
Abstract Lois Moore Yandle (1927-) is the author of "Spirit of a Proud People: Pictures and Stories of Highland Park Manufacturing Mill #3 and the People in the Village of North Charlotte." Highland Park Mill #3, built in 1904, was designed by the prominent architect Stuart Warren Cramer and is the only surviving Charlotte building still associated with him. It was Mecklenburg County’s largest single textile mill and the first all-electric mill in Mecklenburg County. The North Charlotte community was...
Dates: 1903 - 2003

Martha W. Evans Collection, 1929-1979

 Collection — Multiple Containers
Identifier: MS-2021-039
Abstract Martha W. Evans (1910-1979) was the first woman elected to the Charlotte City Council, serving from 1955-1959. She later went on to serve in the North Carolina General Assembly from 1963-1965, and the Senate from 1965-1970. As a legislator, Evans advocated for causes rooted in education and mental health, including a universal kindergarten system, licensing of day care centers, and supporting the educational needs of the mentally challenged. This collection contains documents,...
Dates: 1929 - 1979

Mary Brevard Alexander Howell Papers, 1833-1988

 Collection — Multiple Containers
Identifier: MS-2022-019
Abstract Mary Brevard Alexander Howell was born in Charlotte, North Carolina in 1901, the only child of Sydenham B. Alexander, Jr. and Mary Watson Robertson Alexander. In 1922, Howell married Billy Shaw Howell, with whom she shared two sons, Sydenham Alexander Howell and Billy “Wool” Shaw Howell, Jr. Howell was very active in civic affairs. At various times, she was a board member for a number of charitable organizations including the Florence Crittendon Home and the Presbyterian Foundation. She...
Dates: 1833 - 1988

Mecklenburg County Ornithology Collection, 1926-2017

 Collection — Multiple Containers
Identifier: MS-2020-025
Abstract

This collection contains scrapbooks, artifacts, bulletins and newsletters pertaining to local ornithology clubs including the Carolina Bird Club, the Mecklenburg Audubon Society, Parks and Recreation and private individuals’ personal collections. Materials are in good condition and dated 1926-2017.

Dates: 1926 - 2017

Midwood Elementary School Scrapbook, 1940-1960

 Collection — Box: 1
Identifier: MS-2020-037
Abstract

Midwood Elementary School was established c1934. Originally called the Lawyers Road School, the school was located at 1817 Central Avenue in what is now known as Plaza Midwood. The building underwent several renovations, and eventually Midwood Elementary School closed. This collection contains a scrapbook dated 1940-1960. Scrapbook contents include photographs, newspaper clippings, letters, and other miscellaneous materials relating to Midwood Elementary School.

Dates: 1940 - 1960

Navajo Club Records, 1927-1998

 Collection — Box: 1
Identifier: MS-2021-041
Abstract

The Navajo Club was a social boys club at Central High School from 1927 to 1933. It was then reorganized on June 17, 1972. The club was for socializing only and did not carry any other qualifications for membership. Roughly 90% of the members served in World War 2. After the reorganization, members met on the first Friday of every month. This collection includes newspaper clippings, obituaries and photos of members of the Navajo Club spanning c1927-c1998.

Dates: 1927 - 1998

Penguin Dance Club Records, 1967-1992

 Collection — Multiple Containers
Identifier: MS-2021-032
Abstract The Penguin Dance Club was founded in 1952 in Charlotte, North Carolina. The first executive committee included: Fay and Stan Springs, Carmen and Bill Williams, Ouida and John Spillman, Virginia and Paul Hollas (who also served as first presidents), and Rachel and David Hackney. The Penguin Dance Club held annual business meetings and hosted themed dance events throughout the year. After suffering from declining membership, the Penguin Dance Club merged with the Charlotte Dance Club in...
Dates: 1967 - 1992

Southern Radio Company Records, 1930-1998

 Collection — Multiple Containers
Identifier: MS-2022-009
Abstract The Southern Radio Company operated from 1930-1998 as a distributor of radios, record players, televisions, and home appliances. Its clients were independent electronics dealers throughout the Southeast. Its first quarters were in the J.A. Jones building on 208 S. Tryon St., but it relocated to 1625 W. Morehead St. in 1950, and remained there until closure. This collection contains minute books, ledgers, business records, manuals, promotional materials, photographs, newspaper...
Dates: 1930 - 1998

Wilkes-Smedberg Family Papers, 1849-1913

 Collection
Identifier: MS-2022-021
Abstract The Wilkes-Smedberg Papers is a collection of letters sent to and from John “Jack” Wilkes (1827-1908) and his wife, Jane “Jeanie” Renwick Smedberg Wilkes (1827-1913). Through family connections they were related to some of New York City’s most prominent families, including the Jeffreys, Wilkes, Auchincloss, Brevoort, Irving, among many others. Jeanie is well-known for her efforts in fundraising for St. Peter's Hospital (for the white community), and Good Samaritan Hospital (for the Black...
Dates: 1849 - 1913