Skip to main content Skip to search results

Showing Collections: 31 - 60 of 115

Charlotte Technical High School, 1926-c2000

 Collection — Multiple Containers
Identifier: MS-2020-002
Abstract Belmont Vocational School was created to serve as a vocational school for the children of the Belmont and North Charlotte communities. It opened in September 1922 at 1400 Pegram Street, with Harry K. Moore serving as the first principal. The school was renamed Charlotte Technical High School in 1927. After the class of 1954 graduated, the school became Hawthorne Junior High. This collection includes diplomas, brief histories, photographs, and a scrapbook that relate to Tech High....
Dates: 1926 - 2000

Charlotte Viewpoint Records, 2003-2011

 Collection — Box: 1
Identifier: MS-2019-004
Abstract Charlotte Viewpoint is a magazine about the city and culture of the Charlotte region that existed between 2003-2016. Charlotte Viewpoint published civic and cultural commentary and programmed events about Charlotte for engaged citizens to nurture creative capital, elevate civic discourse and promote intellectual and artistic excellence in the Charlotte region. The Robinson-Spangler Carolina Room digitally preserved the Charlotte Viewpoint website (www.charlotteviewpoint.org), which is directly...
Dates: 2003 - 2011

Charlotte Woman’s Club Records, 1900-1959

 Collection — Multiple Containers
Identifier: MS-2020-003
Abstract The Charlotte Woman’s Club is the oldest civic organization in Charlotte. Organized in 1899 as the Study Club for Mothers, the club changed its name in 1902 when membership and civic activities increased. Six women organized the club, with Mrs. WS Liddell as the first president 1899-1901. In 1908, they joined the General Federation of Women’s Clubs, which is now one of the world’s largest and oldest nonpartisan, nondenominational, international women’s volunteer service organization....
Dates: 1900 - 1959

Chelidon Book Club Records, 1901-1937

 Collection — Box: 1
Identifier: MS-2020-043
Abstract The Chelidon Book Club was founded in November 1901. The name “Chelidon” was chosen after a literary society of the University of the South at Sewanee, Tennessee. Chelidon is a Greek term for part of the arm, which signifies not only strength, but friendship and fellowship. Women in this club discussed a variety of topics and typically chose books to represent a given theme. Materials in this collection include annual programs and meeting minutes dated 1901-1937 and are in good condition.
Dates: 1901 - 1937

College Catalog Collection, 1903, 1961-1983

 Collection — Multiple Containers
Identifier: MS-2021-026
Abstract The College Catalog Collection contains catalogs from the following institutions located in Charlotte, North Carolina: the University of North Carolina at Charlotte (UNCC), Central Piedmont Community College (CPCC), Charlotte College (now UNCC), Johnson C. Smith University (JCSU), and Queens College (now Queens University). Charlotte College was a 2-year junior college that was originally located in the Central High School near Charlotte’s city center before reorganizing as part of the UNC...
Dates: 1903; 1961 - 1983

Commercial National Bank Records, 1874-1948

 Collection — Box: 1
Identifier: MS-2019-010
Abstract The Commercial National Bank Records, 1874-1939 contains documents associated with the establishment of the Commercial National Bank in Charlotte, NC. Examples of materials include shareholder and Board of Directors certificates, condition reports, loan documentation, business reports, correspondence, meeting minutes, by-laws, and other documents pertaining to the bank’s operation. Materials dated 1874-1948.
Dates: 1874 - 1948

Cornelia Beery Fore Collection, 1864-1944

 Collection — Multiple Containers
Identifier: MS-2021-037
Abstract This collection contains documents that cover Mrs. Cornelia Beery Fore’s (Mrs. J.A. Fore) work as the historian for the United Daughters of the Confederacy. It consists primarily of historical research and collected testimonies pertaining to the United States Civil War as well as genealogical research into Fore’s own lineage. Included as well are letters and other documents from the life of her daughter, Ms. Cornelia (Cornie) Fore. Materials are dated 1864-1944 and are in good condition.
Dates: 1864 - 1944

Country Club Acres Garden Club Collection, 1958-1987

 Collection — Box: 1
Identifier: MS-2021-003
Abstract The Country Club Acres Garden Club was organized in 1958. The club’s flower was the Dogwood, and their colors were pink and white. The group met on the third Thursday of each month at 8pm to discuss club matters and gardening techniques. The purpose of the club was to improve the member’s knowledge of horticulture and to beautify their homes and gardens, thus beautifying their neighborhoods and community. The members referred to the club as a “learning club” because many of those involved had...
Dates: 1958 - 1987

Cranford Book Club Records, 1853-2016

 Collection — Multiple Containers
Identifier: MS-2020-012
Abstract The Cranford Book Club is Charlotte’s oldest book club, organized in 1891. Fourteen prominent Charlotte ladies began the club, including Mary Anna Morrison Jackson. Mrs. Josephine Durant served as its first president. The ladies selected the name of their club from Elizabeth Gaskell’s popular book Cranford, and chose the motto “fun as well as study.” The club’s objectives are focused on two areas: “circulating the best in current literature among the membership, and selecting an annual topic to...
Dates: 1853 - 2016

Daughters of the American Revolution, Various Chapters, 1917-1956

 Collection — Box: 1
Identifier: MS-2021-004
Abstract The Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR) is a national society of women dedicated to historical preservation, promoting of education, and encouraging patriotic behavior. Founded in 1890, DAR actively participates in diverse service projects that focus on preserving cultural heritage, such as maintaining historical sites and memorializing historical figures and events through erection of monuments. This collection contains 22 paperback programs and yearbooks printed by various chapters of...
Dates: 1917 - 1956

Davidson College Catalogs and Handbooks, 1860-1966, 1980-1982

 Collection — Multiple Containers
Identifier: MS-2021-027
Abstract The Davidson College Catalogs and Handbooks collection contains college catalogs for thirty-five academic years between 1860 and 1982. Bulk dates are between 1860 and 1938, with a notable gap during and immediately following the Civil War. There are seventeen Wildcat student handbooks for academic years between 1928 and 1966. Catalogs and handbooks contain overlapping information on topics such as: faculty, courses of instruction, degree programs, tuition, and the honor code.
Dates: 1860 - 1966; 1980 - 1982

Democratic Women of Mecklenburg County-Dynamic Women Video, 2020

 Item
Identifier: DO-2020-001
Abstract The Democratic Women of Mecklenburg County seek to encourage qualified women to seek public office and participate in Democratic Party activities, and to provide support the principles of the Democratic Party and to work for the election of Democratic candidates. This video was created by Sandra Dickerson, who highlighted dynamic women in the democratic party, including Liz Hair, Dorothy Holden, Doris Cromartie, Fannie Lou Hamer, and Barbara Jordon, among others. There is also focus on the...
Dates: 2020

Diane L. Hood Family Papers, 1914-1959

 Collection — Box: 1
Identifier: MS-2021-005
Abstract The Hood Family Bible was given to Lester Alexander Puckett (of Puckett’s Meats) and Alice Goodrum Puckett by Raymond V. Hood Sr. and Pauline Jane Puckett. Lester Alexander Puckett was the son of James Puckett and Violet Davidson Alexander, Violet being the great-granddaughter of John McKnitt Alexander. Dates of birth, marriage, and death may be found in the Bible. Other miscellaneous genealogical information is found in this collection as well, but through newspaper clippings and other...
Dates: 1914 - 1959

Don Martin Photograph Collection, c1940-c1950

 Collection — Box: 1
Identifier: MS-2021-006
Abstract Donald Ralph Martin was born to Otis R. and Eva Lena Griffey Martin on September 16, 1917, in Malvern, Iowa. Martin was an Army photographer during World War II and served as a staff photographer in Camp Butner, North Carolina. Following the war’s end, Martin moved to Charlotte, and began working for the Tom Franklin Studio, which also served as the photographers for the Charlotte News. This collection contains Martin's photographs, correspondence, and newspaper clippings. Materials are in good...
Dates: 1940 - 1950

Douglas Corwin Pineville Business Collection, 1902-1965

 Collection — Multiple Containers
Identifier: MS-2021-028
Abstract Douglas Corwin was a pharmacist in Pineville, North Carolina. Prior to leaving North Carolina for Wisconsin c2004, he and his wife their collection donated this collection of Pineville materials to local institutions so that the information would be retained in the area. This collection contains business records for local businesses in Pineville, North Carolina. A majority of the collection contains pharmaceutical records and prescriptions from the Pineville Drug Company, as well...
Dates: 1902 - 1965; Majority of material found within 1923 - 1933

Downs/McCachren and Cappiello/Piscitelli Collection, 1860-2015

 Collection — Multiple Containers
Identifier: MS-2020-049
Abstract The Downs/McCachren and Cappiello/Piscitelli Collection contains a variety of materials for the Downs, McCachren, Cappiello, and Piscitelli families. The Downs and McCachren families have been longtime residents of Cabarrus and Mecklenburg counties, while the Cappiello and Piscitelli families came from Italy and settled in New Haven, Connecticut. Anthony Piscitelli settled in Charlotte after marrying Alice McCachren in 1947. Members of these families for whom materials may be found...
Dates: 1860 - 2015

Dr. Marcus Cyrus Hunter Papers, 1885-1921

 Collection — Box: 1
Identifier: MS-2021-010
Abstract Dr. Marcus Cyrus Hunter (1857-1936) was one of the most widely known doctors in Mecklenburg County in the late 19th and early 20th century. HDr. Hunter studied medicine at the College of Physicians and Surgeons in Baltimore, MD, and later returned to Huntersville, NC where he practiced medicine for nearly half a century. This collection contains three ledgers and a letter addressed to Dr. Hunter. Materials are dated 1885-1921 and in poor condition.
Dates: 1885 - 1921

Dr. Sam Maloney Native American Artifact Collection, 1967-1970

 Collection
Identifier: MS-2020-022
Abstract The Dr. Sam Maloney Collection is a collection of Native American arrowheads and spear points gathered by Dr. Sam Maloney, Professor Emeritus of Religion at Davidson College. This collection includes items from Iredell and Cabarrus counties that Dr. Maloney located, exhumed, and identified from 1967-1970, as well as a variety of pottery shards.
Dates: 1967 - 1970

Draper Manuscript on the Mecklenburg Declaration of Independence, 1876

 Item — Box: 1
Identifier: MS-2021-007
Abstract Lyman C. Draper, the Secretary of State Historical Society for the city of Wisconsin, authored “The Mecklenburg Declaration: Its Origin, History, and Actors with a Bibliography of its Literature and Explanatory Documents”. It was published in 1876 and presented the history of what prompted the writing of the Mecklenburg Declaration.This collection includes Draper's unbound manuscripts, dated 1876.
Dates: 1876

Duke Power Records, 1917-1966

 Collection — Multiple Containers
Identifier: MS-2020-040
Abstract In 1905, brothers James and Benjamin Duke founded the Southern Power Company, which in 1924 became known as the Duke Power Company. Its headquarters is in Charlotte, North Carolina, primarily serving the Piedmont region of the Carolinas. The Duke brothers worked very closely with William States Lee, an electrical engineer, and brothers Walker and Robert Wylie, founders of the Catawba Power Company. This collection contains surveys, maps, applications for service, financial...
Dates: 1917 - 1966

Dulin Family Papers, 1890-1957

 Collection — Multiple Containers
Identifier: MS-2021-008
Abstract The Dulin Family Papers consists of a variety of materials from the family of Thomas Leroy “Lee” Dulin (1842-1914). Thomas Dulin married Sarah C. Pharr (1841-1881) in 1862, in Mecklenburg County, North Carolina, and their children were: Harvey C. (1864-?), John Walter (1867-?), Lula Ellen (1869-1957), Cornelia Vashti (1871-1951), Sallie Wilson (1873-1956), and Ella Elizabeth (1878-1960). This collection contains books, clippings, diaries, documents, and photographs. Materials are dated...
Dates: 1890 - 1957

Eastern Airlines Inc., Flight 212 Accident Collection, 1974

 Collection — Box: 1
Identifier: MS-2020-050
Abstract On September 11, 1974, Eastern Air Lines, Inc., Flight 212, crashed just short of the runway at Douglas Municipal Airport in Charlotte, North Carolina. En route from Charleston to Charlotte, the flight’s concluding destination was supposed to be Chicago. Thick fog reduced visibility, and on approach, the aircraft slammed into the ground, skidded, ran into thick woods, and burst into flames. Of the 82 occupants, thirteen survived the initial crash and fire. Three succumbedto their injuries in...
Dates: 1974

Elizabeth College Collection, 1899-1974

 Collection
Identifier: MS-2021-011
Abstract Elizabeth College was a four-year college for women, founded in 1896. It was located at what was then the end of Elizabeth Avenue, on property that had been the old Torrence homestead. Due to the Watts family’s large donation to the college, college president Dr. Charles B. King named it for his mother-in-law, Ann Elizabeth Watts. It was under the charge of the Evangelical Lutheran Church, whose objectives were to provide a broad education for women in the classics, mathematics, and sciences....
Dates: 1899 - 1974; Majority of material found within 1900 - 1915

Ex Libris Book Club Records, 1933-1998

 Collection — Box: 1
Identifier: MS-2020-056
Abstract The Ex Libris Book Club was organized in 1928 by a group of ten women. This collection contains annually distributed programs with information on monthly gatherings. Each program contains discussion topics, officers, and committee members with their addresses, telephone numbers, meeting date, hostess, and presenter. Materials dated 1933-1998 and arranged in chronological order.
Dates: 1933 - 1998

First Ward Elementary Records, 1980-2013

 Collection — Multiple Containers
Identifier: MS-2020-013
Abstract First Ward Elementary, today (2020) known as First Ward Creative Arts Academy, is located at 715 North Caldwell Street in one of the oldest and most culturally diverse neighborhoods in uptown Charlotte. Originally built in 1900 and named North School, it was one of three schools in Charlotte’s first public school system; the others were the South School, and Myers Street School, for African-American children. First Ward is the only one of the three still operating on the same site, although the...
Dates: 1980 - 2013

First Ward Tax Valuation Collection, 1986-1988

 Collection — Box: 1
Identifier: MS-2019-011
Abstract The First Ward Tax Valuation Collection contains newspaper clippings, photographs, tax line map drawings, and tax valuation forms that detail First Ward properties in Charlotte, North Carolina. Each document includes fields such as: property tax number, street address, property owner, size, amount sold, month/year of purchase, year built, land acreage, tax assessed value, and total. Each form has a photo of the property described. Materials date 1986-1988.
Dates: 1986 - 1988

Fortnightly Book Club Records, 1925-1967

 Collection — Multiple Containers
Identifier: MS-2020-051
Abstract The Fortnightly Book Club was organized in the early twentieth century to discuss books on a variety of topics. This collection contains notebooks and programs relating to the Fortnightly Book Club. The notebooks consist of meeting minutes and general notes about the members, what they were reading, and where/what time they met. In the programs, information covered the clubs officers, program committee, members, hostess, and book lists. Materials in this collection are dated 1925-1967.
Dates: 1925 - 1967

Fourth Ward Tax Valuation Collection, 1986-1987

 Collection — Multiple Containers
Identifier: MS-2019-012
Abstract The Fourth Ward Tax Valuation Collection contains newspaper clippings, photographs, tax line map drawings, and tax valuation forms that detail Fourth Ward properties in Charlotte, North Carolina. Each document includes fields such as: property tax number, street address, property owner, size, amount sold, month/year of purchase, year built, land acreage, tax assessed value, and total. Each form has a photo of the property described. Materials date 1986-1987.
Dates: 1986 - 1987

Frank Bishop Real Estate Collection, 1925-2012

 Collection — Multiple Containers
Identifier: MS-2021-036
Abstract Frank Bishop was a real-estate agent with deep experience in the Charlotte, North Carolina area during the 1960s to the early 2000s. He graduated from The Realtor’s Institute (a collaboration between UNC Chapel Hill and the N.C. Association of Realtors) in 1968 and worked for the Howey Company and Touchberry Realty in the 1960s-1970s before being named executive vice president of Touchberry, Bishop, and Livingston. He eventually opened his own real estate company, Frank Bishop Realtors, in the...
Dates: 1925 - 2012

Gibbon Family Papers, 1861-1895

 Collection — Box: 1
Identifier: MS-2021-012
Abstract Nicholas Biddle Gibbon (1837-1917) was born on November 28, 1837 to Dr. John Heysham and Catharine Lardner Gibbon. He was one of ten children. The family resided in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, until 1837, when John became assayer in the U.S. Branch Mint in Charlotte, North Carolina. Nicholas married Harriet Alexander in Mecklenburg County, North Carolina, in 1870, and they settled near Derita. Nicholas was a farmer, justice of the peace, and member of the General Assembly of North Carolina in...
Dates: Majority of material found within 1861 - 1865; 1895