Clubs and Organizations
Found in 38 Collections and/or Records:
The Athenae Book Club was a women’s book club that studied various subjects through reading, lectures, and poetry. The book club had a monthly theme that the discussion was centered around. Each meeting was hosted by a different member.
This collection contains Athenae Book Club programs dated 1905-1950, a newspaper clipping, and three sets of reading notes. Materials are in good condition.
The Carolina Book Club was founded in May 1939 in Charlotte, North Carolina. Collection materials include essays, meeting minutes, financial records, and other miscellaneous materials relating to the club. Materials are dated 1939-1986 and in good condition, with some documents in poor condition due to fragility.
The Chelidon Book Club was founded in November 1901. The name “Chelidon” was chosen after a literary society of the University of the South at Sewanee, Tennessee. Chelidon is a Greek term for part of the arm, which signifies not only strength, but friendship and fellowship. Women in this club discussed a variety of topics and typically chose books to represent a given theme. Materials in this collection include annual programs and meeting minutes dated 1901-1937 and are in good condition.
The Ex Libris Book Club was organized in 1928 by a group of ten women. This collection contains annually distributed programs with information on monthly gatherings. Each program contains discussion topics, officers, and committee members with their addresses, telephone numbers, meeting date, hostess, and presenter. Materials dated 1933-1998 and arranged in chronological order.
The Fortnightly Book Club was organized in the early twentieth century to discuss books on a variety of topics. This collection contains notebooks and programs relating to the Fortnightly Book Club. The notebooks consist of meeting minutes and general notes about the members, what they were reading, and where/what time they met. In the programs, information covered the clubs officers, program committee, members, hostess, and book lists. Materials in this collection are dated 1925-1967.
Girl Scouting in the United States began in March 1912 in Savannah, Georgia. Juliette Gordon Low founded this organization with a vision for girls across the country to build courage, confidence, and character in a time where women were overlooked in society. This collection contains copies of The Girl Scout Clarion, a newsletter published by the Mecklenburg County Girl Scout Council. Collection materials are dated April 1947-October 1956 and are in good condition.
The Junior League of Charlotte (JLC) is a women’s organization that promotes volunteering and leadership development. The JLC's Garden Club was organized on November 5, 1925 to engage in conservation work and outdoor activities. Examples of projects undertaken by the Garden Club include flower shows, bird house contests, school gardens, home improvement contests, and flower photography. Collection materials are in good condition and dated 1937-1988.
The objective of the Los Tiempos Book Club was to foster the culture and entertainment of its members. The programs and programs found in this collection include the names of the book club members, dates and locations for the meetings, a list of the books exchanged, and a copy of the constitution and by-laws. Materials are dated 1951-1970.
This collection contains scrapbooks, artifacts, bulletins and newsletters pertaining to local ornithology clubs including the Carolina Bird Club, the Mecklenburg Audubon Society, Parks and Recreation and private individuals’ personal collections. Materials are in good condition and dated 1926-2017.
The National Society of the Colonial Dames of America (NSCDA) is a national organization that was founded in 1891. Its members actively seek to inspire patriotism through historic preservation, education, and patriotic service. NSCDA focuses its organizational efforts on sparking interest in our nation’s founding and development, and colonial history. This collection contains bound annual reports published by the North Carolina chapter of NSCDA dated 1912-1939.
The Navajo Club was a social boys club at Central High School from 1927 to 1933. It was then reorganized on June 17, 1972. The club was for socializing only and did not carry any other qualifications for membership. Roughly 90% of the members served in World War 2. After the reorganization, members met on the first Friday of every month. This collection includes newspaper clippings, obituaries and photos of members of the Navajo Club spanning c1927-c1998.
The Pro Re Nata Book Club was organized in early 20th century. It was the outgrowth of a sewing club consisting of young women between the ages of 17 and 19. This collection contains a multi-page document outlining the history and intentions of the Pro Re Nata Club, as well as annual club programs dated 1906-1953. In each program there is a list of members and information about discussions and discussion leaders. Materials are dated 1906-1953.