Found in 25 Collections and/or Records:
The Athenae Book Club was a women’s book club that studied various subjects through reading, lectures, and poetry. The book club had a monthly theme that the discussion was centered around. Each meeting was hosted by a different member.
This collection contains Athenae Book Club programs dated 1905-1950, a newspaper clipping, and three sets of reading notes. Materials are in good condition.
The Charlotte public school system was founded in 1882, with TJ Mitchell serving as the first superintendent of the segregated school district. This collection contains Mecklenburg County budget books for the schools, listing school information by township. Each entry includes data om operational budgets. Materials are in fair condition and dated 1861-1918.
The Carolina Book Club was founded in May 1939 in Charlotte, North Carolina. Collection materials include essays, meeting minutes, financial records, and other miscellaneous materials relating to the club. Materials are dated 1939-1986 and in good condition, with some documents in poor condition due to fragility.
This collection spans items related to the John C. and Ruth Kilgo family, as well as Charles Paty. The Kilgos were residents of Mecklenburg County and active members of the community. Charles Paty is a World War II veteran and was a friend of the Kilgo family. Both the Kilgos and Paty lived in the Plaza Midwood area of Charlotte, North Carolina.
Materials include: Clippings, Correspondence, Ephemera, Postcards, Printed Materials, Rosters, Negatives, and Photographs.
The Charlotte Mecklenburg School system (CMS) was founded in 1882 with a mission to “maximize academic achievement by every student in every school”. This collection contains school directories and teacher handbooks from CMS, which document school and county leadership, Board of Education, professional and school organizations, educational philosophies, rules and regulations, and teacher and school contact information. Materials are dated 1934-1990 and in good condition.
The objective of the Los Tiempos Book Club was to foster the culture and entertainment of its members. The programs and programs found in this collection include the names of the book club members, dates and locations for the meetings, a list of the books exchanged, and a copy of the constitution and by-laws. Materials are dated 1951-1970.
This collection contains scrapbooks, artifacts, bulletins and newsletters pertaining to local ornithology clubs including the Carolina Bird Club, the Mecklenburg Audubon Society, Parks and Recreation and private individuals’ personal collections. Materials are in good condition and dated 1926-2017.
The Navajo Club was a social boys club at Central High School from 1927 to 1933. It was then reorganized on June 17, 1972. The club was for socializing only and did not carry any other qualifications for membership. Roughly 90% of the members served in World War 2. After the reorganization, members met on the first Friday of every month. This collection includes newspaper clippings, obituaries and photos of members of the Navajo Club spanning c1927-c1998.
This collection contains correspondence, manuscripts, lesson plans, music, poetry, photographs, and personal papers. The date range for collection materials is 1930-1994, with a majority of items dating 1959-1968. Many items are undated.
The Sesame Book Club was organized on February 27, 1951 in Charlotte, NC to discuss general culture and current event topics. Membership was set at 16 and new members were only accepted by unanimous ballot. Meetings were held on the last Friday of each month at a member’s home. Mrs. L.L. Autry was the club’s first president.
This collection contains annual programs dated 1956-1973, with information on book selections, members, officers, and By-Laws.
The Sorosis Book Club was a professional women's book club in Charlotte, North Carolina. Each program contains discussion topics, officers, committee members, addresses, telephone numbers, meeting dates, hostess, and presenter. Materials are dated 1906-1936.