Found in 26 Collections and/or Records:
The Carolina Book Club was founded in May 1939 in Charlotte, North Carolina. Collection materials include essays, meeting minutes, financial records, and other miscellaneous materials relating to the club. Materials are dated 1939-1986 and in good condition, with some documents in poor condition due to fragility.
The Saturday Evening Post's first issue was published on August 4, 1821, which establishes the Saturday Evening Post as the oldest magazine in the United States. Materials in this scrapbook include newspaper clippings, telegrams, correspondence, invitations, and other miscellaneous documents relating to the Saturday Evening Post. The scrapbook is dated 1951 and is in good/fair condition.
This collection consists of 14 scrapbooks of memorabilia kept by W.T. Harris and his family. The bulk of the materials are from the 1970s, with a few scrapbooks from the 1960s and 1980s. Examples of scrapbook materials include congratulatory letters, programs, awards, involvement in community organizations, speaking engagements, correspondence, and “Man of the Year” awards.
Julia McNinch (1891-1975) was born in 1891 in Charlotte, North Carolina to Samuel Sylvanus McNinch and Julia Magill McNinch. Julia was a schoolteacher and married John Klump Slear of Pennsylvania, who had been a soldier training at Camp Greene. This collection includes one scrapbook with documents, photographs, postcards, songs, stamps, and textiles relating to Camp Greene. The scrapbook is dated 1918 and in good condition.
This collection contains scrapbooks, artifacts, bulletins and newsletters pertaining to local ornithology clubs including the Carolina Bird Club, the Mecklenburg Audubon Society, Parks and Recreation and private individuals’ personal collections. Materials are in good condition and dated 1926-2017.
Midwood Elementary School was established c1934. Originally called the Lawyers Road School, the school was located at 1817 Central Avenue in what is now known as Plaza Midwood. The building underwent several renovations, and eventually Midwood Elementary School closed. This collection contains a scrapbook dated 1940-1960. Scrapbook contents include photographs, newspaper clippings, letters, and other miscellaneous materials relating to Midwood Elementary School.
The Navajo Club was a social boys club at Central High School from 1927 to 1933. It was then reorganized on June 17, 1972. The club was for socializing only and did not carry any other qualifications for membership. Roughly 90% of the members served in World War 2. After the reorganization, members met on the first Friday of every month. This collection includes newspaper clippings, obituaries and photos of members of the Navajo Club spanning c1927-c1998.