Skip to main content

Business

 Subject
Subject Source: Local sources
Scope Note: Businesses in Charlotte/Mecklenburg County

Found in 19 Collections and/or Records:

Brockmann Bookstore Records, 1916-1922

 Collection — Box 1, Object: Scrapbook
Identifier: MS-2019-005
Abstract “The Book Shop,” opened in Charlotte in 1915, and was owned and operated by the Brockmann and Legerton Company. Herbert Victor Brockmann (1892-1949), was the manager of the store. Two years later, Herbert and his brother, Charles Raven Brockmann (1889-1970), took over interest in the store as Brockmann and Company. Together, they owned and operated the Brockmann Bookstore from 1917-1928, when the store closed. There is one scrapbook in this collection that features correspondence,...
Dates: 1916 - 1922

Carolina Concert Series Collection, 1983-2004

 Collection
Identifier: MS-2019-007
Abstract

The Carolina Concert Series Collection contains programs from the Community Concert Association (1983-1989), Theater Charlotte (1998-1999), Charlotte Community Concert Association (1989-1994), and Carolinas Concert Association (1994-2004).

Dates: 1983 - 2004

Charlotte Consolidated Construction Company Records, 1860-1910

 Collection — Box 1
Identifier: MS-2020-038
Abstract Edward Dilworth Latta founded the Charlotte Consolidated Construction Company, also known as the Four Cs, in 1890. Latta and five other influential Charlotteans, including Mayor F.B. McDowell, developed the Dilworth area, had their own trolley system, and had control of gas and electric power in Charlotte. Incorporating other companies into his own, such as the Charlotte Gas Light Company and the Charlotte Electric Railway, Latta and his group maintained an effective monopoly in Charlotte....
Dates: 1860 - 1910

Charlotte Symphony Orchestra Collection, 1931-1997

 Collection — Multiple Containers
Identifier: MS-2020-014
Abstract

The Charlotte Symphony Orchestra was formed in 1932. It is the largest and most active professional performing arts organization in the central Carolinas. The Charlotte Symphony also includes small ensembles of musicians such as the Flute Club and two Youth Orchestras, among others. Some of these small ensembles perform outreach services to local hospitals, and other organizations.

This collection consists of programs, ASID House booklets, and newspaper clippings.

Dates: 1931 - 1997

Commercial National Bank Records, 1874-1948

 Collection — Box 1
Identifier: MS-2019-010
Abstract

The Commercial National Bank Records, 1874-1939 contains documents associated with the establishment of the Commercial National Bank in Charlotte, NC. Examples of materials include shareholder and Board of Directors certificates, condition reports, loan documentation, business reports, correspondence, meeting minutes, by-laws, and other documents pertaining to the bank’s operation. Materials dated 1874-1948.

Dates: 1874 - 1948

Daniel Augustus Tompkins Papers, 1886-1942

 Collection
Identifier: MS-2022-015
Content Description

This collection contains business ephemera, pamphlets, publications, and other materials relating to his personal and professional life. Materials are in good condition and dated 1886-1942.

Dates: 1886 - 1942

Douglas Corwin Pineville Business Collection, 1902-1965

 Collection — Multiple Containers
Identifier: MS-2021-028
Abstract Douglas Corwin was a pharmacist in Pineville, North Carolina. Prior to leaving North Carolina for Wisconsin c2004, he and his wife their collection donated this collection of Pineville materials to local institutions so that the information would be retained in the area. This collection contains business records for local businesses in Pineville, North Carolina. A majority of the collection contains pharmaceutical records and prescriptions from the Pineville Drug Company, as...
Dates: 1902 - 1965; Majority of material found within 1923 - 1933

Duke Power Records, 1917-1966

 Collection — Multiple Containers
Identifier: MS-2020-040
Abstract In 1905, brothers James and Benjamin Duke founded the Southern Power Company, which in 1924 became known as the Duke Power Company. Its headquarters is in Charlotte, North Carolina, primarily serving the Piedmont region of the Carolinas. The Duke brothers worked very closely with William States Lee, an electrical engineer, and brothers Walker and Robert Wylie, founders of the Catawba Power Company. This collection contains surveys, maps, applications for service, financial...
Dates: 1917 - 1966

Harris Family Scrapbook Collection, 1966-1982

 Collection — Multiple Containers
Identifier: MS-2019-009
Abstract

This collection consists of 14 scrapbooks of memorabilia kept by W.T. Harris and his family. The bulk of the materials are from the 1970s, with a few scrapbooks from the 1960s and 1980s. Examples of scrapbook materials include congratulatory letters, programs, awards, involvement in community organizations, speaking engagements, correspondence, and “Man of the Year” awards.

Dates: 1967 - 1981

Hugh Roy Smith Papers, 1932-2000

 Collection — Multiple Containers
Identifier: MS-2021-014
Abstract Hugh Roy Smith (1908-1979) opened his first business, Cornelius Floral Gardens, in 1933. The business later became known as Smith’s Flowers and Nurseries, Inc. During his career, he grew and sold flowers through his shops in Cornelius and Mooresville and provided floral arrangements for weddings and pageants. He also participated in Southern Living Show exhibits and won awards for his displays. In addition to his work, Smith was active in his community as a chairman of the Cornelius...
Dates: 1932 - 2000

Joseph Benjamin Ivey's "Home News" Newsletters, 1925-1963

 Collection — Multiple Containers
Identifier: MS-2022-017
Abstract Joseph Benjamin Ivey (1864-1958) founded Ivey's along with his brother, George Ivey, and Reverend J.A. Bowles in 1900. Their first store was located on the 200 block of N. Tryon Street. Ivey's was a popular department store in Charlotte, North Carolina until it was sold to the Chicago-based Marshall Field department stores in 1980. This collection contains newsletters written by J.B. and George M. Ivey dated 1925-1963 on topics such as family, neighbors, church, business, and travels....
Dates: 1925 - 1963

La Noticia Digital Newspapers, 1997-

 Collection
Identifier: MS-2021-009
Abstract La Noticia (1997-) is the largest Spanish-language newspaper between Washington, DC, and Atlanta, GA. Hilda Gurdián and her husband founded La Noticia in April 1997, with a mission to “provide readers with local news about what is happening in your new home.” The La Noticia teams works diligently to ensure that all Spanish-speaking people who make Charlotte their home have information in their own language while adapting to a new culture and community. The Robinson-Spangler...
Dates: 1997 - 2022

Mannetta Mills Monroe Plant Newsletters (The Manettism), 1927-1938

 Collection — Box 1
Identifier: MS-2020-007
Abstract The Manettism was the newsletter for the textile mill known as Manetta Mills, Monroe plant, in Monroe, North Carolina. The Monroe plant was originally known as Jackson Mills, and was incorporated in 1913, manufacturing cotton blankets and sheeting. Published by C.W. Walton, Treasurer at Manetta Mills, The Manettism included jokes, letters-to-the-editor, and articles about mill workers and their families. It was published by Mr. Walton at his home press from the summer of 1927 until his death...
Dates: 1927 - 1939

Ralph Johnson Papers, c1921-1971

 Collection — Box 1
Identifier: MS-2021-044
Abstract

Ralph Johnson (1904-2001) was a prominent Black businessman in Davidson, North Carolina. He owned and operated Johnson's Barber Shop on Davidson's Main Street from 1921-1971, where he served many Davidson College students, community leaders, and Secretary of State Dean Rusk. This collection contains materials relating to his life and career, mostly consisting of photographs. Other items include biographical information as well as published articles. Materials are dated c1921-c1971.

Dates: 1927 - 1971

Rotary Club Records, 1941-1981

 Collection — Multiple Containers
Identifier: MS-2020-042
Abstract The Charlotte Rotary Club was chartered in October 1916 and was the 256th Rotary club established in the world. Charlotte’s club is the oldest and largest club in its district and celebrated its 100th anniversary in 2016. Rotary International is an organization that brings together business leaders from different sectors to engage in philanthropic activities, promote high ethical standards in their professions, and advance international goodwill. Charlotte’s club meets weekly to develop...
Dates: 1941 - 1981

Sanitary Laundry Records, 1909-1962

 Collection — Box 1
Identifier: MS-2020-041
Abstract

The Sanitary Steam Laundry was incorporated by the State of North Carolina in May 1909 and served the Charlotte community through 1974. This collection contains documents with information on cost estimates for resources, floor plans, finances, correspondence, receipts, news clippings, and meeting minutes. Materials are dated 1909-1962 and in good condition.

Dates: 1909 - 1962

Southern Radio Company Records, 1930-1998

 Collection — Multiple Containers
Identifier: MS-2022-009
Abstract The Southern Radio Company operated from 1930-1998 as a distributor of radios, record players, televisions, and home appliances. Its clients were independent electronics dealers throughout the Southeast. Its first quarters were in the J.A. Jones building on 208 S. Tryon St., but it relocated to 1625 W. Morehead St. in 1950, and remained there until closure. This collection contains minute books, ledgers, business records, manuals, promotional materials, photographs, newspaper...
Dates: 1930 - 1998

Walter Wilford Kale Papers, 1917-1970

 Collection — Multiple Containers
Identifier: MS-2022-011
Abstract Walter Wilford Kale (1897-1983) was born in Cleveland County, NC and moved to Charlotte with his family at a young age. In 1925, he partnered with his brother, Walker, and A.J. Lawing to form the Kale-Lawing Company. Their company sold office supply products from its storefront on 227 South Tryon Street until the 1980s. The papers in this collection include financial and business records, correspondence, genealogical information, photographs, awards, and records relating to the...
Dates: 1917 - 1970; Majority of material found within 1950 - 1956

Wilkes-Smedberg Family Papers, 1849-1913

 Collection
Identifier: MS-2022-021
Abstract The Wilkes-Smedberg Papers is a collection of letters sent to and from John “Jack” Wilkes (1827-1908) and his wife, Jane “Jeanie” Renwick Smedberg Wilkes (1827-1913). Through family connections they were related to some of New York City’s most prominent families, including the Jeffreys, Wilkes, Auchincloss, Brevoort, Irving, among many others. Jeanie is well-known for her efforts in fundraising for St. Peter's Hospital (for the white community), and Good Samaritan Hospital (for the Black...
Dates: 1849 - 1913